Posted by Sandpaper America on Oct 20th 2022
How to Sand Down an Old Rocking Chair
Rocking chairs are classic pieces of furniture that can last for many years. But over time, the chair may start to show its age. The wood may become scratched or dented, and the finish may start to wear away. If you have an old rocking chair that's in need of a little TLC, don't despair. With a little elbow grease, you can bring it back to its former glory.
In this blog, we will show you how to sand down an old, wooden rocking chair and refinish it back to new!
Rocking Chair Sanding Tips
What You Need:
Course-Grit Sandpaper (or Power Sander)
Screwdriver or Drill
Stain, Paint, or Varnish
Tarp or Old Sheets
Here's How to Sand Down an Old Rocking Chair:
1. Start by removing all of the cushions and any other removable parts from the chair. This will make it easier to sand the chair down.
2. Next, use a coarse-grit sandpaper to remove the old finish from the chair. If the chair is made of hardwood, you may need to use a power sander to make the job easier.
3. Once all of the old finish has been removed, switch to a medium-grit sandpaper and sand down the wood until it's smooth.
4. Now it's time to apply a new finish to the chair. You can use a stain, paint, or varnish. Choose whatever finish you like best.
5. Allow the finish to dry completely before replacing the cushions and other removable parts.
Now your old rocking chair will look good as new!
Are you interested in stocking up on all the abrasives and sanding materials you need for the rest of the year?Call Sandpaper America at 1-800-860-SAND to buy quality abrasives like belts, wolf heads, sanding sheets, rolls, and more. We offer the most competitive prices for abrasives and convenient online ordering across the nation!
Top-Rated Power Paint Strippers for Under $600
Why You Should Not Paint Over These 4 Cabinet Surfaces
Best Options For Removing Varnish and Paint From Wood